Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Bearing Fruits

Last Sunday my pastor preached a sermon on John 15:1-8, and I was particularly intrigued by - bear much fruit - in verse 8 since God is glorified by it.


“By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.”
(John 15:8 NKJV)


But exactly what kind of fruit are we talking about here? How does this fruit look like in real life?

Using my Accordance bible software, with only the downloaded version as the DVD is still en-route, I decided to do a bit of word search on "fruit"... particularly in the New Testament.



What I found is there are 60 hits in 52 verses for "fruit" in the NKJV (NT only).



I can even visualise the spread of "fruit" with the help of a graph :)

Eventually with the full installation (can't wait for the DVD to arrive) I can do more in-dept word study - from Greek to dictionaries to commentaries... and so much more.

But a quick glance at the 52 verses, already I could pick out a few relevant verses related to John 15:8. Here are some examples of the GOOD FRUIT the Apostles admonish us to bear:


“But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.”
(Romans 6:22 NKJV)

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,”
(Galatians 5:22 NKJV)

“(for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth),”
(Ephesians 5:9 NKJV)

“Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.”
(Hebrews 12:11 NKJV)

“Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.”
(Hebrews 13:15 NKJV)


This is FUN!

No comments: