Monday, April 21, 2008

Macau - Churches & Food


It has been a while since I last step into a Catholic Church. Even longer when the Church is VERY old. Like 1587!


St Dominic Church is an UNESCO World Heritage site. It was a spooky experience actually. All those idols & spooky lighting effects actually make the place quite dreary.


Kinda like visiting one of these above ;P

I guess the original intent was to bring AWE to worshipers or pilgrims. Trying to portray a sense of beauty or glory of God humanly possible. But the Word of God says:

"You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them... (Exodus 20: 4-5)

Instead of focusing on the Word of God, in the Dark Ages, the Church did the exact opposite - they forbid the Bible to be read by common folks. It was DEATH sentence for a common folk found to be READING the Bible!

Wait a sec...that kinda sounds like what is happening in the USA today too...where the Bible is forbidden in many public places... But thats a topic for another day...


Yup, by the grace of God I was in Macau last week. Behind me is yet another UNESCO World Heritage site - the famous ruins of St Paul. Built in 1582 it was burned down 3 times. The last was caused by a typhoon... Hmmm, wonder any "meaning" when I was there and Macau was hit by Typhoon Neoguri...


A friend asked me how to differentiate a RC Church and a Protestant Church. A RC friend volunteered the answer: "The RC cross has a human figure on it." Funny but sorta true.

Well, I guess a better sign is the one above - "Mater Dei", Latin for "Mother of God", right on top of the main entrance.


As recommended by my world jetting buddy TW, he suggested that I need to try out the special Portuguese Egg Tarts. I did. But I couldn't taste the "special" part. It was nice but so are those found in Malaysia.


The other must-try food is the Pork Pao. Regret to inform I was too full to try. Next time perhaps.


The streets in front of the ruins of St Paul are really busy. The stores fronting the streets ranged from the ultra hip to the very traditional. A great mix.


Not to mention all those historical sites.


Btw, I did pass by a reformed church. Here's a photo. Behind the window grill are these words: The LORD is risen!

Amen.


No comments: