Monday, December 15, 2008

Comparing Smythson KJV Bible




It is inevitable that I should compare the new Smythson Bible with some of my other favourite Bibles, namely (bottom to top): Allan ESV1T, Allan Brevier Clarendon, Cambridge Pitt Minion & finally, the new Smythson Brown Mara Calfskin.



It is obvious Smythson Bible matches closest to Allan's Breiver Clarendon. Not just physically but also in terms of what is INSIDE.


For instance, both come with the excellent Oxford Cyclopedic Concordance.


Both are KJV (what else?) ;)


Both open FLAT right out of the box.


Both are equipped with only 1 (nice) ribbon.


However there ARE differences.

First, Smythson KJV is in Brevier Black-face format while Allan is in Brevier Clarendon format. One biggie advantage Clarendon has over Black-face is perhaps the lack of self-pronouncing feature which some find "irritating".

But here, I must say Smythson Black-face is perfectly "readable" and in fact has a significant edge over Allan Clarendon in print quality. The Smythson is very CRISP & SHARP despite the vintage typeface. Much more so than Allan's. And it doesn't suffer from the irregular "print tone density" issue at all! (At least I have yet to find any 2 pages side by side with discernible print density difference).

Even the pictures in the Concordance have better contrast & sharpness in the Smythson's.

(Now, please do not be mistaken in thinking Allan's Clarendon has "inferior" printing. NO, NOT AT ALL! In fact, its print quality is better than most "modern" Bibles in the trade! And also bear in mind that Allan also produces a Black-face version of which I have yet to see its print quality...)

However, I do wish the Smythson Bible has a bigger font. The smallish font (only slightly bigger than Cambridge Pitt Minion) does affect how long one can read in a stretch. In this regard, Allan's Clarendon is much more superior with its bigger font.


While I believe Smythson is slightly better on the inside "technically", it is more subjective on the OUTSIDE.

Update @ Dec 21st:
The more I read from the Brevier Blackface, I realise, the setting sometimes could give u a "very busy" look. It could be especially "irritating" when it is a pageful of names in self-pronoucing mode. I also realise the sharper/crispier first impression could be more due to the darker smaller typeface against a whiter paper (vs Clarendon).

Being a HARDCOVER, it doesn't flex. The cover is as stiff as any hardcover book. Personally, I prefer the limpness of Allan's Bibles...but somehow I find the hardcover (especially one with SUCH a superlative binding) more...scholarly ;)



Without considering the semi-yapp binding & the beautiful art-gilt edge Allan has, both are calfskin, both are gorgeous, both are of the finest binding, both are BROWN & both are superlative. So which will you choose?

I give thanks to my Father God who provides so richly in this Christmas season.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben...I have a Brevier Blackface in French Morrocco from Allan's and It seems to be about like yours. Until now I had never seen the typeface of the Clarendon and I surely see one in my future. Great pics.

BenTing said...

Thanks, Jeff.

I am so "relieved" that Brevier Blacface isn't as "archaic" as I first thought. In fact, I rather enjoy the setting.

But for "eye comfort" in long reading, I sincerely believe the Clarendon is more friendly. U will love it.