Friday, January 16, 2009

Vintage Cambridge Cameo KJV


Last December I bought my first vintage Bible.


It was a vintage 1970s Cambridge Cameo KJV Burgundy Water Buffalo Calfskin. But it is actually more Red than Burgundy - which is exactly what I have hoped!



Again, I have Mr. Mark Bertrand to thank (blame) for this vintage Bible. Ever since I started reading his blog I have learned much not just in general book binding knowledge but also much in the appreciation (curiosity) for old Bibles...


And it seems people are especially "crazy" over vintage Cambridge Bibles... So I decided to find out "why"...


In a way, I think I know part of this "why" now... which will be a topic to be discussed in another day when my OTHER vintage Cambridge Cameo KJV Apple Red arrives :)

And lastly, thanks to my buddy Colin for helping me to courier this over.

Update @ Feb 09:
- Link to more pix on the Cameo Burgundy.
- Link to preview of Cameo Apple Red!

10 comments:

Ian Smith said...

The Cambridge Cameo is one of my favorite type-settings -I'm really hoping that Cambridge does another round of bibles in this setting.

I got my first Cameo for 10$ and my second one for 30$. I only have the second one now and it's binding is finally starting to give way -however to buy a similar Cameo nowadways costs a small fortune, to which I can probably blame Mark Bertrand! I used to be able to get used bibles on eBay and Amazon and on other sites pretty cheap, but now there's a market because of that blog! I'm hoping its a bubble and it will pop soon so that I can get another cameo for under 200$!

BenTing said...

I agree the Cameo has a wonderful type-setting. Every element of the Bible seems to be "just nice".

Who knows, may be Mark could convince Cambridge to "resurrect" the Cameo?! Won't that be GREAT?!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It is beautiful! I certainly understand the comment on thanking (blaming) that Mark Bertrand for such things. Ha. My wife doesn't like him very much. "You'd better not be on dat Mark Beertrand website again!!" I hear that way too often. :) I always scream back "It's Bertrand not Beertrand!"

Cool review with nice pics.

BenTing said...

Thanks Winston! My wife has "given up" on me already...she is in "leave it to God" mode... ;)

Which makes me wonder, is there any wife out there who is buying waaaay toooo many Bibles?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,
I am noones wife but a woman buying way too many Bibles (just bought 3 this week - and the week is not finished, yet). Does that count? Regards Yasmine

BenTing said...

Blessed are you, woman!

Anonymous said...

Ben...If you Google Cambridge Cameo Bible, you'll come up with several sites that still have Cameos for sale. I've seen both wide margin and regular size, though mostly in black.

BenTing said...

Dear Jeff, I tried to google/yahoo search, but so far all listed "out of stock".

Mark Lim said...

Ben,
Just set up a blogger.
//greekmaths.blogspot.com

Pls check it out and need to learn from an experienced user like you.
Cheers
Mark

preacherbiff said...

I just received a cameo ref wide margin from Local Church Bible Publishers. Product# CCC110E1B. Ironed black calfskin, leather lined. I checked it against a web photo of the text and it uses a Cambridge text block. This Bible is BEAUTIFUL. It was $52.00 brand new and only took three days to ship. It doesn't say Cambridge on it but it actually surpasses one in quality. Check it out, localchurchpublishers.com