Monday, June 25, 2007

My Bali Trip


Was in Bali last week. Bali has a population of 3.2 million and 95% of them are Hindus... and I gotta tell u, this land is FILLED with temples. From every street corner to every mountain to every lake to every home. No kidding. The Balinese build them literally EVERYWHERE.


From the top of this exotic rock formation (Tanah Lot)...


To this small altar somewhere in an unknown alleyway... The Balinese make offering to their gods everywhere.


EVEN on the streets! They make these little baskets with a variety of flower pedals inside them and place them everywhere. U can find one in front of EVERY shop too. So u gotta watch ur steps!


Or vehicle.


But at the end of the day this is where they end up.


On my second day in Bali, a thought came to me: Bali is an excellent example of how ancient Judah & Israel must had been like in their days of rebellion against God.

1Ki 14:23 For they also built for themselves high places and sacred pillars and Asherim on every high hill and beneath every luxuriant tree.

The God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob, the God of Moses & Joshuah - LOATHES them:

Deu 12:2 "You shall utterly destroy all the places where the nations whom you shall dispossess serve their gods, on the high mountains and on the hills and under every green tree.

I pray for God to send a great revival in Bali.


Beside temples, Bali of course is famous for its beach. But alas, this trip, my only access to them are those public ones. Meaning, nice but not as nice as those u see in postcards or promotional adverts. This one is Kuda beach early morning.


Jimbaran beach. Love to photograph these kids playing.


Dinner at Jimbaran beach. Very cool.


Another MUST DO thing in Bali is SHOPPING of course. From the ultra-ultra high end to the flea market, Bali has an awesome selection.


Be prepared for some "persistent" seller. My advise is, sometimes it is OK to buy a bit "more expensive". We are the blessed. So what is that extra few dollars? Insignificant to most of us but everything to many of these less unfortunate Balinese.


Example: this AWESOME looking kite. I bought 2 at Rp 40k each. Half an hour later I found another stall selling the same kite at Rp 20k. For a split second, I felt "cheated". But another split second later, I realised what is that Rp 20k (RM 8) when: 1) I love the kites, 2) my kids will LOVE them, 3) I can't find this design back home, 4) I make that Balinese boy happy with the profit... I was elated again.


Security is VERY tight and VERY visible in Bali. Almost every restaurant has one or several security people manning the entrance. This is for obvious reason after the 2 tragic terrorist bombing incidents in Bali.


Thus, another must see place is - "Ground Zero", the tragic 2002 terrorist bombing at Legian Street. The Indonesian government has erected a memorial for the 200 over victims who died. Rather than taking a cab, I decided to walk. And u see A LOT by walking.


As I get closer, the street is packed with actions. There are many bars & restaurants. But according to the locals, the crowd is still way below as compared to the days before the bombing.


After more than 20 minutes' walk, the memorial loomed into view.


I was happy I was able to explain some of the "why it happened?" to my friends. And more importantly, the direction of the future of the world. It will be dark indeed. Especially one without Christ Jesus.


In all fairness, the Balinese people are very friendly people. They have a sense of the fear of God, and they have a very elaborate outward form in worship full of exotic rituals and ceremonies. But these forms are ultimately futile. Men's salvation is ONLY possible thru the atonement sacrify on the cross by Jesus Christ.


Would I want to visit Bali again? Hmmm...

1 comment:

bali hotel said...

Perfect photos, like the sunset!!

Thinking of going to bali again??

My name is Made from Bali, I offer Bali Private Tour and Airport Pick Up Service for your holiday in Bali. For more information visit my website. www.baliseasontour.com