Saturday, October 04, 2008

New Bibles - NLTse & HCSB


Last month I added 2 more Bibles into my collection - a Tyndale Select (Mahogany) NLT and a Holman Legacy HCSB. Both are "new" translations that came out in 2004...well, at least the NLT is an updated version.


The Tyndale Select NLT comes with Calfskin binding. It has a choice of Black or Mahogany calfskin, and as u can see here, I chose the Mahogany version.


The Holman Legacy has a "shiny" cowhide binding. I understand there is a newer version that comes in black calfskin. But I just love this cowhide grain pattern.


I read some folks don't really like this "bonded looking" older version. But for me, I think it looked rather classy & classic. For instance, I really like the chain-like gold gilt lining design inside the cover.


Another view. If there is any "complain", I wish the typeface could be "bolder".


This Tyndale Select NLT is supposed to be a referenced edition. But I was surprised that the typical "center column reference" design isn't there. Instead, references (not that many) are placed at the end of a verse/paragraph.


Both Bibles are ultra-flexible. (For those in the "know", I call this Bertrand Yoga shot.)


The Tyndale Select Calfskin doesn't "feel as refined" as the Crossway Cordovan Calfskin. And in term of "eye-candy" factor nothing beats Allan's gorgeous Water-Buffalo Calfskin.


But beauty is only "skin-deep". It is the content between the covers that is the MOST precious. In these pages contain the VERY WORD of GOD!

NKJV/NIV are my main bible translations for the past few years. And this year, I am so glad I have added several new translations into my fold - NASB, ESV, NLTse, HCSB. So far, I am really enjoying reading Scriptures in parallel between the translations.

The surprise this year has got to be my "new found" love for KJV. Currently I am doing NT memorization in KJV!


The very existence of our English Bible is by itself a journey that was filled with unimaginable adversities & hardship. Its existence literally stands on the shed blood of thousands of martyrs... But that will a story to be told here in another day...

This year, one of my prayers has been asking God to rekindle my love for His Words, that I may be consumed by it, that I may be transformed by it. That these Words may truly be the lamp unto my feet, and the light unto my path. That I may know more of my LORD JESUS.


And I praise the LORD that I am blessed with all these Bibles made in the finest tradition, workmanship & materials.

There will be a few more new ones coming... among which is another R.L Allan - ESV1 - of which I have pre-ordered since May! And as of this writing, it is on its way from England.

Errr...actually 2 new R.L Allan ESVs ;)

2 comments:

Pastor Keith said...

If you still have your Holman Legacy Bible would you be willing to part with it? I have been looking high and low for one with no avail.

Let me know,

my email is keithtwig@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Do you happen to still have the ESV cordovan? I would love to buy it from you or I have a few premium Bibles I would be willing to trade! Please let me know craig3232@gmail.com