Friday, October 17, 2008

Old TBS KJV Pitt Minion


Over the week, one of my wife's closest relative passed away in KL. As a token of memorial, it is the Chinese tradition that one takes home a personal belonging of the deceased for remembrance sake. As my wife called me over the phone asking me what to take, I answered: "Bibles?"

And indeed this evening she came home with a VERY OLD looking bible.


As I took hold of it and flip it open...I was awe struck! This is a KJV Pitt Minion from the Trinitarian Bible Society!!!


It was a present from my father-in-law to her only sister...purchased in Nov 1967.

Yes, 1967! This bible is OLDER than me (actually, not by much). And it cost RM25.00 (equivalent to USD7 with today's exchange rate).

I have no idea how much does it cost for a similar TBS pitt minion today...but for a Cambridge Pitt Minion Goatskin today, the price ranged from RM310.00 to RM455.00!


And the thought that came immediately to my mind - I gotta photograph THIS!

Comparing to the modern Pitt Minion, I see little if any difference in the text format. With the exception of the paper being a bit yellowish (not sure if this is due to age or thats how India Paper supposed to be in the 60s).

However, the printing is EXCEPTIONAL. It says printed in England on the front page.

And if u haven't noticed - the OLD bible has NEAR ZERO bleed-thru!!! (Believe me, the paper is THIN). So now I understand why the OUTCRY by many for this particular "back to past" technology!


While I am not sure if this - "Cambridge Bold-figure References" - is still in use by any current Cambridge's KJV bibles, I do find this system extremely user-friendly. (Allan Oxfords are using similar system - whereby the center column references are located right next to the referenced verses, or as close as possible).

Not only that, this is a Black-Letter edition WITHOUT the names of kings, prophets & apostles been split into multiple syllables with hyphens in between! (So I guess there was a significant population of Bible loving Christians who didn't fancy self-pronouncing feature in the 60s either).


It has 8 gorgeous maps but no concordance.


This OLD pitt minion "springs wide open" (to borrow a phrase from Mr Mark Bertrand) as well as today's Cambridge pitt minion. Very cool.

It has red under gold (I can still see some gold glitter despite the age). And it is symth sewn.


Unfortunately the zipper doesn't "work" anymore, or at least thats what my father-in-law advised.

I NEVER expected my wife to bring back such a GEM. Truth be told, I was thinking something more in line with - hardback, glue bonded & full of fungus stains. I repent by giving glory to my Abba Father who is full of mercy & grace, who blesses me with this bible.


* Photo by Ivy

We all miss you, auntie Siu. And with the state of the world today, I guess it is probably much sooner than most people expected in our LORD's return. We shall meet again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben' A Trinitarian Pitt Minion w/zip is about $68.00 U.S. on their web site.

weenis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
weenis said...

While it is true you can still purchase a TBS Pitt Minion Zip, the quality has drastically changed from the TBS of 2003 and before.

If you can snatch up Vintage Trinitarian Bibles... Do it. :)

Awesome pictures, awesome story. That Bible looks well-read.

God bless,

Ryan