Monday, July 20, 2009

"Doing" Church

Last few days I have been thinking about "church". Especially how a church should "function", what are her "goals" & "objectives". A message I heard over the weekend made me think even more.

These are some of the questions that went thru my mind, and my short answers accroding to what I understand at this moment in time with what I know from the Bible:

1) What should the VISION of a church be?
- To glorify God

2) What should the PURPOSE of a church be?
- Worship God
- For the equipping of the saints
- For the edification of the saints
- Evangelism

3) What were the early churches PRAISED for?
- Perseverance thru persecution & sufferrings
- Sacrificial givings
- Love for the saints

4) What were the early churches WARNED against?
- False teachers
- Wolves
- Apostasy
- Worldliness

Obviouly the answers are way more "complex" than these short answers but I think they are pretty close to the heart of the questions raised.

So now my question is: How do we DO church DIFFERENTLY? Is that EVEN possible? What are the biblical mandates? What are the biblical guidelines?

No comments: